Thursday, January 6, 2011

Broken in...

Hello!

It's been a few days since the last time I posted, and a ton has been happening!  

I have now had 3 days on site!  And three very busy, exciting, and crazy days.   
Day 1- 
I arrived on site and was almost immediately greeted by the Artistic Director (head guy at Corteo) and his assistant.  I quickly met the stage manager and a bunch of others that are in charge everything, including props, rigging, backstage, food, wardrobe, makeup, etc. There were so many people and it was a bit overwhelming but it was also a good jump into Cirque culture and life.  After a day filled with meeting people, I was given a ticket to see the first show, The Premiere, in Brussels.  It was amazing.  It was way better than I imagined.  There is a mix between historical relics and new age performances and music.  It is set in an old european setting, and this is the first time that Corteo has performed in it's "place of origin", Europe.  Very exciting!!  After such an eventful evening it was quite difficult to fall asleep but by about 1:30 I was out.

Day 2- 
I arrived on site with a huge "to-do" list!  I had so many meetings and things that I was expecting, just not that soon.  I was given my costumes (there are 2 completely different costumes depending on the part of the show I'll be in) and my hats!  I then had my physio evaluation and right after I was allowed to train.  The corteo board is a traditional planche but these vary every time they're made.  Thus, this board has a different feel, different angle and all in all it is a completely different board than I had been training on in Montreal.  This board, however, I love!  It has a steeper angle (therefore jumps are higher) and it is very quick and hard.  I have a great coach, stephan, who is the long haired guy in the youtube video if you have seen it.. and he is also an artist in the act.  I started jumping normally and it took  a while to get used to but by the end I had at least jumped and it felt great!!  After training I met with tour services people (travel, lodging, taxes and finances) and had more meetings.  When I finished all of these I had a one on one meeting with the Artistic Director.   It was very interesting to hear his ideas, inspirations and goals for me.   Finally that night I was able to sit back in Tapis Rouge (the red carpet with Live feed to the show) and interact with the people coming off stage as well as just hang out backstage.   It was a huge eye opener.

I got back to my apartment and for the first time since I've been here I got to speak and see Alex (thank you skype) and that was a huge boost.  Not only was I having a great time here but I really was missing her and hadn't talked to her in a while.  Much better.

Day 3- 
TODAY!  Today was also a very busy day and it started rather unconventionally with a full body measurement taken.  They measured me from head to toe, in order to create my own costume back in Montreal, if they needed it.  After almost an hour I immediately had my makeup done, which is very atypical to Cirque.  Instead of the crazy colours and extravagant lines it is very very simple and the goal is to look very natural on stage. This show is all about being oneself.  Even our character names are our own.  That was the part of the original vision as created by Daniele Finzi Pasca, who just happened to be here and I got to meet.  
After makeup, I had training, and it went much better today.  I did back tuck on board, and am starting to feel this board and the timing.  
I learned a little bit of simple clapping choreography and then the show started.  I again watched from Tapis Rouge, but during the show a stage manager informed me that starting tomorrow I'll be learning cues (quick appearances) for the actual show.  I was even told that by next week I should at least be on the stage a few times during performance!!  Very exciting.

When I got back to my apartment and Skype'd Alex again, we were able to figure out and book her flight here to Brussels!!!   YAY!!  Alex will be flying here the 21 of January.  Can you tell I'm excited??  Cirque has actually hired a plane to fly from Brussels to Vienna, and all members and accompanying members fly free.  Very very nice.  I'm ready for her to come and see my dream finally getting started and taking off!  Hopefully by then I'll be performing too!!

That's about all for now!  Hopefully you were able to read all of it and not fall asleep!  
Until next time!
Miss you all. 
Aa

3 comments:

  1. Very excited for you and for Alex! Keep the posts coming; we really appreciate them and find them interesting and informative. Grandma and grandpa send their love,too. Talk to you soon. Love you!
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG that is all so so sos os so amazing!!!! I'm so excited for you!!! Seriously so cool!!! Yeah for Alex!!! AMAZING!!! Stay safe and healthy! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Things are starting to pick up nicely for you two! Kinda jealous, I feel a summer trip to Europe coming up. Echo what Max said, be safe, stay healthy.. Make us all proud.

    G.

    ReplyDelete